New hardware and software offerings increase enterprise agility
In2011,HP announced Converged Storage to address legacy storage limitations exposed by the growth of human information, infrastructure convergence and the emergence of IT-as-a-Service data centers. The HP Converged Storage system vision is polymorphic simplicity. This is a new storage conceptthat enables a single-systemarchitecture to exist in several forms, shapes and sizesfrom low to high, but retains commondataservicesforblock,objectandfileapplications. This vision also calls for optimization for both hard disk drives (HDD) and solid state disks (SSD).Today,HP is expanding that portfolio to include:
• HP3PARStoreServ7000 Storage is the industry’sonly mid rangequad- controller platform offering Tier 1st orageavailability and quality-of-service features at an easy entry price point for organizations.(2)Supporting both block and file data services, the system is available with HDD and SSD oras an all-SSD configuration capable of performing more than 320,000 input/output operations per second—2.4 times that of a similarly priced competitive array.(3)
• HP StoreAll Storage,a highly scalable platform for object and file data access, provides a simplified environment for big data retention and cloud storage that reduces the need for additional administrators or hardware. HP StoreAll Express Querywas created by HP Labs, the company’s central research arm, and is a metadata database that allows clients to conduct search queries 100,000 times faster than previous file system search methods,(4)facilitating informed business decisions based on the most current data. Integration with HP Autonomy Intelligent Data Operating Layer (IDOL) offloads processing tasks to HP StoreAll so that analytics can be rapidly performed with more current data and using less computer hardware. Additional integration with HP StoreAll and HP Autonomy Consolidated Archive, as well as certification of other independent software vendor applications, provides safe, long-term retention of digital assets.
• HP Store Once 2000 and 4000 Backup,with support for HP Store Once Catalyst software,provide sefficient data movement and high-performance deduplication to reduced at a protection costs in remotesites and data centers.The new models perform back up operations up to three times faster at a 35percent lower cost than the closest competitives ystem.(5)
“Legacy storage vendors are simply not equipped to help organizations respond to newwork loads,and bolting on new features toold architectures has created anightmare,”said Neelam Dhawan, Vice President and General Manager, Enterprise Group and Country Managing Director, HP India. “HP’sunique set of Converged Storage innovations helps clients simplify infrastructure and reduce costs with a common architecture across storage segments and categories.”
Improving client return on information,individuals and infrastructure
HP Converged Storage innovation shelp clients simplify storage infrastructure and respond to unpredictable demands while increasing the value organizations generate from their investments in three areas:
• Returnoninformation—by enabling better and quicker decisions with technologies such as embedded search and analytics to extract value from all types of information.
• Returnon infrastructure—by improving asset utilization through a polymorphic design and efficiency technologies to cut capacity needs in half.
• Returnon individuals—by providing common data services and centralized management across storage systems to reduce administration time and complexity.
“To keep pace with an unprecedented rate of innovation at Nuance, we recognized an immediate need to enhance the storage infrastructure across our company,” said Frederic Van Haren, senior director, Research and Development Labs, Nuance Communications. “With HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, our infrastructure can instantly adapt to changing workloads and allow our staff to focus on the innovative voice and language solutions we bring to market.”
HP also announced new services that help clients optimize their investment and create the right environment for their businesses. They include:
• Technology services tha thelp optimize HP Store Once performance and speed transition from HP Enterprise Virtual Array to HP 3 PAR Storage.
• HP Storage Management Services integrate HP 3PAR StoreServ, HP StoreAll and HP StoreOnce Storage to offer HP’s new storage technology to enterprise clients with systems management expertise and operational best practices.
Pricing and availability(6)
• The HP Store Serv 7200 is available globally immediately starting at USD$20,000.HP StoreServ7400 starts at USD$32,000.HP Priority Optimization will be available in 2013.
• HP Store Once 6200 Back up systems are available worldwide immediately for a starting price of USD$250,000.HP Store Once 2000 Backup systems start at USD $10,000 and HP Store Once 4000 Backup systems start at USD$30,000.HP Store Once Catalyst Software licenses start at USD$500.
Additional information about the new HP Converged Storage solutions is available at www.hp.com/go/storage/nextera.
A recording of the HP Discover Frankfurt press conference and additional information about HP’s announcements at its premier client event, HP Discover Vienna, is available at
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people,businesses,governments and society.The world’s largest technology company,HP brings together a portfolio thats pansprinting, personalcomputing,software,services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems.More information about HP(NYSE:HPQ)isavailableathttp://www.hp.com.
(1) Based on research data from Evaluator Group, indicating that on average companies are only using 30 percent of their physical disk capacity for applications.
(2) HP internal competitive pricing and feature analysis of competitors with tracked market share using the following Tier 1 definition: Tier 1 storage has more than two independent controllers, two paths to back-end disk, graceful handling of controller failures without impacting service levels, sub-LUN tiering across HDDs and SSDs, and synchronized three-way replication.
(3) Based on HP internal IOMETER test results of like hardware configurations using 8K 100 percent Random Reads comparing an All-SSD HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 vs. a market share leading midrange array.
(4) Based on HP interna lcomparison of traditional file system scans versusHP Store All Express Query.HP Express Query took 1.434 seconds to complete. The previous find command took 151,278.706 seconds to complete.
(5) Based on HP internal comparative analysis of publicly available data from major competitors.